If you have searched the web and you are looking for information on ICL
The full form of ICL surgery is Implantable Collamer Lens Surgery. This surgical procedure employs a non-invasive approach, eliminating the need for lasers or incisions. Furthermore, patients can undergo this surgery without experiencing any discomfort. In this surgery, a lens is fitted in the patient’s eyes, with the help of which you never need to wear spectacles again in your life.
ICL vs Lasik Surgery
Two types of surgery are done to get rid of spectacles first is laser surgery and second is ICL surgery. There are three types of surgery in laser surgery: the Lasik laser, the Smile laser, and the latest one is Contoura vision laser. There is a limitation of laser surgery and that limitation is that laser surgery can get rid of spectacles only up to number eight and whenever a patient’s glasses number is more than eight then in this case ICL technology is used.
If there is a problem of dryness in the eyes of the patient or there is a decrease in the thickness of the pupil of the eye where laser surgery is done or there is a problem of Keratoconus in the eyes, then laser surgery cannot be done in all these situations. Doctors Use ICL Surgery.
ICL Surgery Procedure
The Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL) is a lens that contains the same optical power as our conventional spectacles. However, in this procedure, the lens is implanted inside the eye rather than being worn externally like traditional spectacles. This allows for vision correction directly within the eye, providing patients with the convenience of clear vision without the need for external eyewear. In this surgery, there is no pain to the patient, and no injection is given to the patient. In this surgery, the eyes are numbed using eye drops and this surgery is completed in 10 minutes.
–First of all, the patient’s eyes are cleaned using betadine.
–A speculum is inserted into the patient’s eyes to keep the patient’s eyes open during surgery.
–the eyes are numbed using eye drops
–The lens has to be placed at exactly 18-degree angle to the eye. When the doctor performs surgery, the machine projects exactly 18 degrees of the eye with the help of data fed into the system.
-With the help of surgical instruments, the doctor makes a small entry point to place the lens in the eye.
-The size of the ICL lens is 7-8 mm. This lens is loaded into the injector and placed in the eye. The patient does not need stitches in this surgery.
Who can have ICL surgery and who can’t
-Patient age should be above 18 years.
-Patient’s spectacles number should be stable for 6 months.
-If any lady patient is getting this surgery done then she should not be pregnant or should not be breastfeeding.
-There should not be any problem other than the number of spectacles in the eyes.
-You should not have this surgery if you are immunocompromised or taking steroids.
-Depth of the interior chamber for placement of the ICL lens must be greater than 2.8mm
Tests Before ICL Surgery
Some blood tests are done before ICL surgery, in which there is a test of sugar and a test of viral markers. Sometimes ECG is also done for the patient. Apart from this, a checkup of the retina, calculating the number of spectacles, mapping, and checking the depth of the eyes, are all these things that are tested for ICL surgery.
Things to keep in mind before and after ICL surgery
Do not use any make-up on the eyes on the day of surgery, and do not use any perfume. Wash your hair thoroughly before surgery as doctors recommend not to wash your hair for a few days after surgery.
Don’t go out too much after the surgery so that you don’t get too much dust in your eyes. Take care that water does not enter the eyes. Do not use mobile and computer excessively.
ICL Surgery Success Rate
Once the ICL surgery is successful, the patient does not have to wear spectacles for the rest of his life. This surgery is 100% successful but only when you fulfill all the criteria of this surgery.
ICL Surgery Cost
ICL surgery is costlier than Lasik surgery because the ICL lens of this surgery is special because it is customized according to the size of your eyes, due to which its cost increases. The cost of this surgery in India can be from 80 thousand Indian Rupees to 1.25 thousand Indian Rupees.
In the USA its price varies from $1500 to 5000$. Its price depends on various factors.
As of my last update, I can provide a general overview of the factors that influence the cost of ICL surgery in the USA. However, please note that prices may have changed since then, and it is essential to consult with a healthcare provider or a specialist to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on the cost of ICL surgery.
Factors Affecting ICL Surgery Cost:
1. Location: The cost of medical procedures can vary significantly depending on the geographic location of the clinic or hospital. Urban areas and regions with higher living costs might have higher prices for ICL surgery compared to rural areas.
2. Surgeon’s Experience: Highly experienced and skilled surgeons may charge more for their services. It’s essential to choose a qualified and reputable surgeon to ensure the best outcomes.
3. Clinic/Hospital Reputation: Renowned and well-established clinics or hospitals may charge higher fees due to their reputation for providing quality care.
4. Type of ICL Lens: There are different types of ICL lenses available, and the cost can vary based on the specific type used for your surgery. Advanced or custom-made lenses may be more expensive.
5. Additional Fees: The initial cost estimate may not include all expenses. Be sure to inquire about any additional fees such as pre-operative consultations, post-operative care, medication, or follow-up visits.
6. Pre-operative Testing: As mentioned in the provided information, some blood tests, ECG, and eye tests are conducted before ICL surgery. These tests may add to the overall cost.
7. Anesthesia: In some cases, the use of specialized anesthesia may incur an additional cost.
8. Financing Options: Some clinics may offer financing plans to help patients manage the cost of ICL surgery with monthly payments.
It is essential to have a thorough discussion with your eye surgeon to understand the complete breakdown of the costs and any financing options available. Additionally, check with your health insurance provider to see if any portion of the ICL surgery cost is covered under your plan.
Also read about:-